Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Another Fpies reaction!


I just got back from the hospital with Evan...we tried 2 baby spoons of organic oatmeal , a reintroduction because he seemed okay with it months ago, 3 hours later, he spit up.....then wanted to nurse-which is what he did the last time, then threw it all up......Every couple minutes he would throw up. About 30 min in, I called my husband because I needed him to stay with my 2 year old so we could yet again make the 10 minute journey to the hospital....my husband came home and Evan was becoming lethargic so i packed up and headed to the hospital.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES WHEN YOU HAVE A LETTER, they took him in and started an IV within 10 minutes. After 2 boluses, he was totally himself! Thank God!! So now we're back home and I will have to start the reintroduction process again.....this time maybe we will do fruits-other than apples and bananas..... This is my new normal too.

7 comments:

  1. oh no... poor buddy. We've had 6 reactions and never gone to the hospital yet. I am dreading the day we need to. Our doc gave us the okay to stay home and monitor him. (we litterally live blocks from the hospital) but beleive me.. the second i see things getting worse than before we will be packed up and headed in to! I'm glad to know your letter worked! I copied ours small so me and my husband each have one in our wallets as well as a copy in his diaper bag.
    poor buddy...

    We tried peaches this weekend (homemade) he liked them and did really well! but ever kid is so different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what is so hard! I feel like every reaction from him is going to be like this, but I am trying to stay positive. The weird thing is-he used to do well on that oatmeal, I should have listened to you that last post! But, we tried pears right before this reaction, about 5 days ago, and he seemed good, but he does not like them.....so I dont know what to do! (except keep breastfeeding). I just feel like he will be so behind on eating things! I dont know....I guess I will find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. That is horrible. I am glad that you had the letter so they could assist you guys better. How is he doing now? Hopefully back to healthy. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was actually fine after they gave him fluids, you would have never known it happened. I am grateful though, he had severe vomiting and lethargy but no diarhea this time! The last thing he reacted to, (the custard) he had it for 3 weeks after! I hate when he has reactions, it makes me not want to try anything for such a long time, but I know I need to...I will do peaches next I think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - just came across your blog. I have a 21 month old daughter with FPIES to milk (dairy) and we are also avoiding soy (per our allergists advice). Glad to hear that your son is doing better and that the fluids worked. We also carry a letter and a medicalert card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one mommy that's going through this to another...don't reintroduce anything until age 3. They don't usually outgrow F-PIES until at least age 3, so between now and then, there are plenty of foods in the world, apart from the known-offending foods. My daughter is 2, and we have not had an episode in over a year, because we have grown accustomed to avoiding offending foods, which for her, are rice, oats and barley. The best treatment for F_Pies is the simplest one....avoid what you know makes them sick. Then at age 3, go to the doctor for a food tolerance test.

    ReplyDelete